Wilshire Indexes help clients, investment professionals and researchers accurately measure and better understand the market. The Wilshire Index family leverages more than 40 years of Wilshire performance measurement expertise and employs unbiased construction rules.
The flagship Wilshire 5000 Total Market IndexSM (Wilshire 5000®), widely accepted as the definitive benchmark for the U.S. stock market, celebrates 40 years this year. Developed in 1974 to address a clear gap in the market, the Wilshire 5000 offers a robust alternative to a market proxy of just 500 stocks that, by nature, falls short as a basis for risk measurement and diversification by missing a significant part of the investment performance story.
- Wilshire 5000 Family: Flagship family includes the Wilshire 5000, Wilshire 4500 Completion and a suite of Wilshire size and style indexes designed to help investors evaluate performance of style managers.
- Wilshire Real Estate Family: The Wilshire Real Estate Securities Index and sub-indexes, including the Wilshire US REIT, are designed to measure the real estate market without the limitations of appraisal-based indexes and instead use focused, publicly traded real estate, equity securities. In 2006, global real estate indexes were included.
- Wilshire Liquid Alternative Family: The Wilshire Liquid Alternative Family is designed to provide a broad measure of the liquid alternative market, as well as sub-strategies, and measures alternative investment strategies accessed via liquid ’40 Act mutual funds.
- Wilshire Business Development Company IndexSM: The Wilshire Business Development Company (BDC) Index is designed to measure the performance of publicly-traded BDCs that focus on the debt financing of small, developing and financially troubled companies.
Powered By WilshireSM
- Powered by Wilshire: Powered by Wilshire is an offering that allows investment and fund managers to marry their own proprietary index methodology with Wilshire’s well-respected brand, time-tested index calculation engine and state-of-the-art distribution platform. The new offering provides an independent, 3rd party, implemented solution that delivers historical index data to support marketing efforts as well as ongoing calculations. For more information about Powered by Wilshire, click here.
- BRI Long/Short Equity IndexSM: The BRI Long/Short Equity Index, designed by BRI Partners, LLC, provides investors with a benchmark to quantify the beta performance of long/short equity hedge fund strategies.
- OWL ESG-Weighted U.S. Large Cap IndexSM: The OWL ESG-Weighted U.S. Large Cap Index is designed to provide a large market capitalization benchmark for environmental, social and governance (ESG) investing. The OWL ESG-Weighted U.S. Large Cap Index uses a methodology designed by OWLshares™ for a representative basket of approximately 500 large-cap stocks that are weighted by OWL ESG™ scores.
- ABR Enhanced Short Volatility IndexSM: The ABR Enhanced Short Volatility Index, designed by ABR Dynamic Funds, LLC, seeks significant long-term returns. The ABR Enhanced Short Volatility Index uses dynamic inverse exposure to VIX Index futures to capitalize on the long-term downward trend of volatility assets while mitigating their appreciation in a crisis.
- EVA Wilshire 5000 IndexSM Family: The EVA Wilshire 5000 Index Family seeks to combine the power of the Wilshire 5000 Total Market IndexSM (Wilshire 5000® ), widely accepted as the definitive benchmark for the broad U.S. stock market, with Economic Value Added (EVA) methodology, a time-tested and well-respected process designed to identify a company’s true economic profitability.
- Wilshire Bond IndexSM: The Wilshire Bond Index measures the performance of the U.S. taxable fixed income market based on actual holdings of U.S. institutional investors. The Wilshire Trust Universe Comparison Service® (Wilshire TUCS®) database representing over $3.7 trillion in institutional assets is used to dynamically define the institutional U.S. bond market.